Kingscliff High School Human Powered Vehicle Team
The Kingscliff High School Human Powered Vehicle Team successfully completed the 24hr Fraser Coast Technology Challenge. It was a mammoth effort for both students and staff.
The team achieved 9th in the Junior Boys Division out of 18 teams. There were 131 HPV’s in the race with plenty of amazing crashes and fast vehicles. The KHS team stepped up to the challenge avoiding all the crashes. With no training at all the students completed some very long rides. Billy Currie and Cedric Weder both completed 1hr 45min stints on more than one occasion during the night time.
The race did not come without challenges. Teamwork was critical with a couple of minor repairs, carrying the bike back to the pits. Tanja Skorka’s maturity and thinking got us over the line when the chain snapped at 23hrs and 30min. She pulled up just near the pits and the team repaired the chain and finished the race.
A huge thank you to all the staff who supported the team, including Mrs Hellier, Ms Flick and Mr Jovaisa. Thank you to all the staff who covered lessons at school.
The Kingscliff High School Human Powered Vehicle Team would like to sincerely thank all our sponsors. Without the help of our local businesses this project based learning activity would not happen. Please support our local businesses.
Thank you to:
- Kingscliff High School P & C – Major Sponsor. Funded the entire project
- Write On T Shirts – Thank you to Deidre and Julian who funded the entire team shirts and screen printing. The students looked absolutely fabulous.
- NR Signs – Thank you to Tony and the fantastic team at NR signs for sponsoring the entire vehicle graphics. The vehicle looked fantastic and stood out against other teams. Many onlookers on the Highway and walking past the school.
- Coast Cyclery – Thank you to Brendon at Coast Cyclery for sponsoring all the mechanical fit out of the brakes and gear adjustment. Brendon also sponsored team shoes at cost price. The students loved the shoes and the vehicle performed extremely competitively.
- BCF Tweed South – Thank you to Nathan and the team at BCF Tweed South for sponsoring two gazebo pod tents. The students needed these for rest breaks while waiting for their turn during the day and night.
- East Coast Trimming – Thank you to Ben from East Coast Trimming who kindly made a professional padded seat to push the shorter riders forward. The students referred to the “Booster Seat” and loved it
- Bunning Tweed South – Thank you to Bunning Tweed South for sponsoring team water bottles and gloves. It was a hot day and plenty of water was required.
Head Project Coordinator